Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Problem with Problem Solving

Today in the midst of a problem-solving discussion, I realized that I have very . . . selective . . . taste in problem solving. There are some problems that draw me in like jigsaw puzzles or mysteries and seem quite interesting to work on. And then there are other problems like the ones under discussion in the aforementioned discussion. Those sorts of problems I prefer not to deal with; problems that I already know how to solve, but that require some sort of action on my part to actually become solved. Even discussing such problems is a problem, since it usually just makes me feel guilty about not being motivated enough to have solved the problem already. My overall thought is essentially, "If I cared enough to talk (or even think) about the problem, it would probably be solved by now; new topic, please!"

Guess it wouldn't hurt to work on some of those "known solution" problems. Just need to remember that solving such problems really is a good thing and not just a condemning admission that there was a problem in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment