Mother's Day was a fairly simple holiday way back when when all I had to do was do something nice for my own mother and wait for her to share her Mother's Day candy with me. Things got a little more complicated when I left home. Not only did it suddenly take more effort to do nice things for my mother, but I also was old enough to be receiving Mother's Day gifts at church on my own, although that was always a little odd, since I wasn't actually a mother.
Soon enough, though, I actually was a mother and reality set in: for moms, Mother's Day is guaranteed to be another day of mothering. And that's the only guarantee. I bought myself a box of chocolates in advance this year so I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.
However, this year Mother's Day actually turned out quite well. Our friends invited us to join them in their Mother's Day tradition of kite flying, and we all enjoyed it. Later, my husband and the kids baked a chocolate cake for me. Our two-year-old made some significant contributions to the cake while Dad and big sister were looking for more flour, which meant that the end result looked and smelled great and had absolutely no calories, since it was WAAAAY too salty to actually eat any of it. It looked nice beside ice cream, though, and it also made fun finger paint (like pudding paint, except cake-based). So, thank you all, it was a happy Mother's Day. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment