Friday, May 7, 2010

The Battle of the Schoolroom

One of the quirks of our life is that Dad (i.e. my husband) is VERY concerned about our children's educations. I'll omit the reasons and politics of the matter, but the end result is that one of my daily "to do" list items is to endeavor to make a very unwilling (but capable) 5 year old work on things like math, writing/spelling, and reading.

Reading is actually fine; she likes reading and has gotten to the point where she compulsively reads pretty much anything that gets within her visual range, including emails and blog posts (granted, she still has to sound things out and doesn't often get very far, but the compulsion is definitely there. We also have science and history time in the form of me reading to her, which usually goes well, too. She loves being read to, and it's amazing how well she retains information presented that way.

Writing and math however . . . ugh! She can do them both, but part of the ritual includes protesting that she has to do the work at all followed by going through every excuse in the book (from "I'm thirsty" to "I have to go potty" and everything in between) before she will actually do any work. On a good day, I lay down the law immediately and we get through before I lose it and never want to see her again. I guess it's time to stop blogging and become a task master again. If nothing else, I do at least feel that I made a VERY good choice not to go into education. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment