Yesterday I betrayed my heritage by complaining about a rainy day. True, I did have rain-induced inconveniences, but I really do know full well that rain is essentially a good thing. And, as I looked at pictures from someone's summer in Seattle, I realized that I'm also grateful to live somewhere with rainy days in the summer. For those of you who don't know, Seattle has gorgeous summers with lots of sun and next to no rainy days, despite the drizzle that goes on for the other 9 months of the year. Especially this summer, it's nice to know that rain comes sometimes to bring relief from the heat and water our lawn.
Now, as for the BBC gem of the day . . .
the headline: "Union 'outraged' at head teacher 200,000 pound pay package"
My favorite quote therefrom: "It is outrageous that a head teacher in a local community school should earn more money than the prime minister." (that quote from someone in the aforementioned union)
Seriously, folks? As someone who lives in a place where educators' salaries are, frankly, pathetic (a first year med school resident makes more than most teachers), I can tell you that nothing good comes from relegating education to the back burner, financially speaking. I think it would be great if we transferred some politician salary money over to educators' salaries. Practically speaking, bureaucracy (which is what much of government boils down to, in my opinion) solves nothing, but motivated educators could make a HUGE difference. Anyway, that's what I think about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment