Tuesday, June 23, 2009

More tech stuff & bargain hunting

My mac consultant answered my email question, and yes, it is possible for my eMac to have 2 GB of RAM thanks to advances in RAM technology. Naturally, Apple would not provide support for any problems I might have with modified memory, but since my extended warranty expired over a year ago, that's not too much of a concern for me.

I've ordered a keyboard, a new Grape keyboard (old, but still new in the box) from the iFruity days of iMacs. So, that just leaves RAM upgrade, and external hard drive, and a new operating system on the shopping list. The one problem is that, although the funds I have were clearly sent with the intention of fulling my Mac dreams, I know full well that SOMEBODY doesn't care for the idea of my proposed upgrades. Current solution: bargain hunt; get stuff at such great prices as to have leftover money from the original allotment. In that spirit, I chose the old-but-new Grape keyboard. (OK, so I also liked the purple aspect of it.) I have found a refurbished memory stick on Amazon that is about $15 dollars before shipping. Do I trust refurbished? And is it really compatible? Also, I've found lots of hard drive options, and eBay says I can have 8% off anything I want that I get through them. The operating system is $116 after my educational discount, but it may be possible to find something even lower with a bit of hunting? Anyway, more on that later; must retire now in hopes of reviving the real brain.

1 comment:

  1. i have finally left my blog to look at other blogs. :) you got purple! I like purple too. btw, what's your fav color?

    ReplyDelete