Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mom's vacation part II: Hotel Hallway

"Don't come back until the thesis is finished," he said. And so, I haven't. The building is indeed very quiet, but unlike my alma mater, it is ill equipped for sleeping. Back in the day, it was easy to find a resting place; even if the couches in the girls' bathrooms were taken, there were plenty of coushy benches distributed across campus. Here, however, having found no couches in the bathrooms, and finding the head-on-the-desk position quite unsatisfactory, I was forced to rough it. Given the choice between sleeping on or under the table, I chose under, as the lights in the hallway are perpetually on (with no light switch in sight) and the table at least offered some shade. Ah, but then there was another problem: finding a pillow. I had previously tried using some of the "free; take me" hard cover books on the table, but then I realized that perhaps the magazines on the table might work better. And so, such as it was, I settled in for about three hours of sleep (i.e. there's a reason if I sound especially odd here . . .). Yes, the floor was hard and not particularly conducive to sleep, but honestly, the biggest problem is all the refrigerators, plus the drinking fountain, which together make for a less-than-quiet environment. So, if you're ever in the neighborhood, I suggest you bypass hotel hallway and head to my place instead, where we have plenty of couches and an air mattress, too (plus pillows and blankets). On a brighter note, dinner was fairly good. Now, however, I suppose I should try to rally enough to finish that blankety-blank thesis so that I can go home. Either that, or just plan on spending tomorrow night in the car instead of the hall . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment