For many years now on May 23 my mom has sung a song about "Don't buy the liverwurst," which includes a bit about how the liverwurst in question has been sitting at the store since October 1st and "today is the 23rd of May." Well, although this post isn't on Liverwurst Day, I nevertheless had snippetts of the song going through my head yesterday. I googled it today and found out that it's an Allan Sherman song; guess I should have figured he might have written it. Anyway, just for fun and just because I've been curious, here are the lyrics (imported from allthelyrics.com):
(Sung to the tune of Down by the Riverside)
When you go to the delicatessen store,
Don't buy the liverwurst.
Don't buy the liverwurst.
Don't buy the liverwurst.
I repeat what I just said before,
Don't buy the liverwurst.
Don't buy the liverwurst.
Oh buy the corned beef if you must,
The pickled herring you can trust,
And the lox puts you in orbit AOK.
But that big hunk of liverwurst
Has been there since October First,
And today is the Twenty-Third of May.
So when you go to the delicatessen store,
Don't buy the liverwurst.
Don't buy the liverwurst.
Don't buy the liverwurst.
It'll make your insides awful sore.
Don't buy the liverwurst.
Don't buy the liverwurst.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment