Thursday, December 2, 2010

The ethics of glitter

We received a packet from an institution the other day which, along with its plethora of paperwork, included some glittery confetti type stuff, the sort that threatens to irrevocably coat your whole room if you open the envelope too quickly or carelessly. I managed to hold off the glitter storm (for now), but it got me thinking. How ethical is it to include glitter/confetti in envelopes? If there is some sort of pleasant surprise inside, like a check or a birthday greeting, it might be kind of fun and almost worth the clean up. However, I think that it might be less appropriate as congratulations for nothing more than extra paperwork to fill out. Seems almost like adding insult to injury at that point: congrats on the extra paper work, and now you get to vacuum again, too! Perhaps I am overly jaded from living amongst a herd of clutter creators. I must admit that it was kind of fun finding one of the sparkly stars stuck to my baby: new and improved baby, still a cute as ever, now with added shine!

1 comment: