Monday, July 13, 2009

Blog envy, blogging, blather, etc.

I have a confession to make: I have serious blog envy for some of those blogs out there. Is it the backgrounds? No, I've now figured out where to get them, how to install them, and even how to make some basic ones of my own. No, it's the comments I envy. Comments, glorious comments, the one thing besides a counter or other such widget that can let an author know that someone is actually reading the blog. *Sigh* (My apologies & thanks to those of you who have commented :)

However, despite this blog envy, I realize that there is greater purpose, for me at least, to blogging. Once upon a time I was a journal writer, but after about seven good years of that, life changes and perfectionist issues pretty much killed that. A year or so ago I first heard about blogs, mostly in the context of "use your blog to share the gospel." So, I tried setting up a blog with that in mind. Didn't get very far. Later, I started actually reading blogs, including friends' and relatives' blogs, and began to understand the whole thing a bit more. The big lightning bolt came along with baby #4 when I realized that a blog was a great way to share baby pictures. Then I realized that it could also be electronic journaling. Just think, a digital scrapbook maintained by Google, and easy to do, too! So, I started blogging. Later, I realized that writing is good for my sanity. So, even though I usually blog to the wind, I blog.

On to the blather: I mourn the exit of bloggers from the blogosphere. If you read this, you know who you are. Those of you who declare yourselves done with blogging. I shall miss you! But think, why call yourselves done? Do you feel some sort of obligation to your blog? Is it like an odious task master chiding you for not making additions according to some abstract schedule? O my friends, be masters of your own blogs! Do not let a little web page intimidate you, especially a web page you created! Why not just consider yourself on vacation maybe? Just because you don't feel like blogging everyday or even every year, why issue such a final sentence as "done" when your blog will wait patiently until you do feel like you have something to say?

All right, glad I got that off my chest. Yes, I am a novice blogger, but I find that I go in cycles with my passions, and I'm glad to know that even if/when my enthusiasm for blogging fades, the blog can still be there whenever the fire returns, just as my genealogy stuff waits for me online across the web or a book waits for me to finish reading it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment