Saturday, January 1, 2011

Introducing 2011

Well, here it is, January 1, 2o11. Honestly, it was quite a bit like December 31st, 2010, except that it got colder as the day went on, feeling like it could have been spring in the morning (with green grass and "April" showers to prove it) but then returning to our regularly scheduled winter chill by nightfall. However, I am in "historic" mode right now, and so I shall record some events from today just because, since no matter how "normal" they are now, it is inevitable that "normal" will change, as it has many times before.

Technically, the day began with going to bed after staying up to greet the new year. The next events revolved around feeding and changing baby Lydia. Around seven, the sounds of chatty children in their bedroom could be heard, and by about 7:20 I went in to see why Curtis was crying and generally send he and his older siblings, Amanda and Jared, down the stairs for breakfast and such. As I did not particularly feel like being awake just then, we had a very casual first couple of morning hours, munching on waffles from the freezer section and watching one of our Christmas movie acquisitions, The Princess and the Frog.

Eventually, though, Dad (the kids' dad, that is, my spouse) woke up and inquired about the progress of Amanda's daily academic endeavors (yes, this is normal, even for a Saturday during winter break). From then until Amanda's school stuff got done it was all a rather typical blur of "Jared, be nice to Curtis. Amanda, back to work! Yes, I'll go get Lydia. Curtis! Be nice to Jared!" etc., with an occasional break to answer the phone, dispense food, or change a diaper.

One of the phone calls was to inform us that a party had been postponed a week, which was a sticky bit of information for me to be holding, since that party had been Amanda's motivation for keeping up with her paternally-mandated home school work. I decided not to share my knowledge until after the work in question was completed, and all turned out well after some evening treats like a little party with Mom and Dad, hosted by Amanda, and a chance to pick out a fun little something to purchase with math money (so goes the financial math in our home for Amanda: math money=mad money).

I went out shopping twice today, to two different stores. Lydia accompanied me on both trips, and as I got her tucked into her car seat wrap for the second trip, she wriggled happily, as if she remembered the drill and was looking forward to the outing. Amanda came on the later trip, too, which was when she got to pick out her toy. She chose a little Princess Jasmine doll, one of those that is only about 2 or 3 inches tall and that comes with soft plastic/vinyl clothing. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the spare outfit that came with the doll was even completely modest! Especially when that turned out to be the outfit Amanda preferred, too.

Other events from the day included Dad going out on and adventure to take our famous (infamous?) minivan to its original dealership for some recall-related servicing, and another excursion by Dad to help a friend with some revisions on a paper to be published. I also had fun putting the boys to bed. Jared requested a story with a giant toaster (inspired by a Veggie Tales episode) and Robot Rex (inspired by a Backyardigans episode). And so I told of how the brave Robot Rex fell inside a giant broken toaster, repaired the the toaster, and then lived happily ever after with the toaster as they shared toast. This was the first story in several days that wasn't required to have a dragon in it. Pity, too, since the dragon always worked in well as a toaster when Jared first started wanting toast included in his stories. Oh yes, and I also played a little US states geography game online and beat Dad and Amanda's score by about three hundred seconds and ten correctness percentage points. All in all, a fairly typical Saturday as compared to those of December 2010. And now, to get ready for tomorrow, when I shall have a rather unique experience: I will be substituting for Jared's primary class. Rather interesting, since it's going to be his first official day in primary; guess I'll be one of the first to know how it goes. :)

1 comment:

  1. WOW! That was quite a day! It is good that you wrote it all down for the sake of history. We are glad you have managed so well with all things considered and the progress is good! Our church times are now 8 to 11 AM with other meetings on both ends of that schedule. 2011 is starting all right, and we are happy to know you are there and keeping things going! Love, Mother and Father

    ReplyDelete